Anothery injury blow for Wilshere

Thumbnail

In a devastating blow to the Arsenal and England midfielder, the latest scan on his injured ankle has shown a suspected hairline fracture.

It is the latest in a long line of injury problems for Wilshere, who only returned to action in May after a five-month lay-off caused by ankle ligament damage.Arsenal expect to make a final diagnosis by the end of the week, but their best possible scenario is that the injury will rule Wilshere out for six to eight weeks.

If the 23-year-old needs surgery, he could miss up to three months — though Arsenal are hoping to avoid that eventuality. The Gunners originally thought the injury would only keep Wilshere sidelined until after the next international break at the start of September.

But Arsene Wenger is now facing the prospect of being without his midfielder, who sustained the injury in training on Saturday, for far longer.

Wilshere has had hip, hamstring and back problems over the past five years, but most of his problems have been with ankle injuries, which have already ruled him out of more than two years of football.

After suffering a stress fracture of his right ankle in a pre-season friendly against New York Red Bulls in July 2011, he spent Wenger, meanwhile, is not the only Premier League manager with injury worries.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has admitted that Diego Costa’s injury problems are becoming a concern.

The Spain striker missed Sunday’s 1-0 Community Shield defeat by Arsenal after feeling his hamstring against Barcelona last week. He is unlikely to feature on Saturday when Chelsea host Swansea.

‘I have to be honest and say that it is a bit of a concern,’ said Mourinho. ‘A player who didn’t finish the season and doesn’t start the season obviously doesn’t make me happy.

‘The boy is trying hard but he had a problem against Barcelona, the next day the scans showed no injury so the next day he trains. But the next day he was not comfortable and 24 hours before the game we don’t know if he plays or doesn’t play. It is not a good feeling for him, it is not a good feeling for me.’

The Chelsea boss, whose team lost 1-0 in last night’s friendly against Fiorentina at Stamford Bridge, predicted that this year’s title battle will be closer than ever. He said: ‘You have a minimum of five title contenders and the other teams get stronger and stronger. I think nobody can complain because everyone is investing, every club.’

Mourinho denied that Chelsea would make a fresh bid for Everton defender John Stones. Rio Ferdinand stated that the 21-year-old would be a ‘lunatic’ to join Chelsea, suggesting instead a move to Manchester United.

‘I don’t speak about players from other clubs,’ Mourinho added before joking, ‘I don’t know, maybe Rio has a contract with Manchester United.’

The Portuguese will face no action after missing the Premier League managers’ summit at Gloucester Place on Tuesday. He said: ‘I can’t be in two places at the same time.’ – Daily Mail

Original source: Anothery injury blow for Wilshere

by