Arrows, Polokwane in six-goal thriller


Coming off a 3-0 loss at defending champions Mamelodi Sundowns, Arrows made four changes to the line-up but were still caught short at left-back in the absence of injured Lehlohonolo Nonyane. However their blitzkrieg attack made up for that to rescue a point in a game that swung from end to end before a small but appreciative crowd.

A four-goal first half feast was laid on by the teams under cool and drizzly conditions. Every time Arrows went ahead, Polokwane replied almost immediately.

However the visitors were the early aggressors as striker Rodney Ramagalela took advantage of his familiarity with his former stomping ground. The ex-Arrows man troubled his old team constantly down the right flank and got their first equaliser after Arrows stole ahead via Wayde Jooste's tap in.

Ramagalela created the first chance of the game when he pulled the ball back for Thobani Mncwango, but the forward side-footed tamely wide in the fourth minute.

With pretty much their first clear sight of goal in the 32nd minute Arrows took the lead. Andile Fikizolo collected a punt over the top and laid the pass for Jooste to knock in his fourth of the season.

Five minutes later Ramagalela took advantage of hesitancy between central defender Matome Mathiane and make-shift left-back Cliffton Miheso to finish off Jabulani Maluleke's defence-splitting pass.

Pace and precision is the hallmark of Arrows' play, and again they caught the visitors defence napping with a sudden counter towards the close of the half.

A ball hoofed out of defence found striker Lerato Lamola in space. He left his marker for dead and squeezed the ball past goalkeeper George Chigova for his first of the season, and his first in Arrows' colours since he joined the side this term.

Whatever Arrows did, Polokwane replied with patient probing. Veteran Maluleke's poise enabled him to find space to pick out Mncwango who flashed a header in on the stroke of half-time for another deserved equaliser.

The drizzle stopped but the goals kept flowing after the break.

Despite Kenyan international Miheso making way for Nduduzo Sibiya to strengthen the left-back area, Polokwane found space to go ahead for the first time.

Ramagalela returned the favour for his goal when he turned provider and put Maluleke clear on goal. The midfielder made no mistake as City went ahead with 15 minutes on the clock.

The visitors slowed the game down a notch but with three minutes to go substitute Sibiya slotted in the equaliser.

Independent Media

Original source: Arrows, Polokwane in six-goal thriller