But he refused to take back his old job, complaining that an unnamed senior BBC executive had compared him to serial paedophile Jimmy Savile after the row broke.
Clarkson also revealed plans to launch a new car programme to rival Top Gear, which Evans will now host and produce as part of a rumoured £5million ( R97 million) contract.
Speaking of the presenter's reported refusal to return to the Corporation following an alleged comparison to Jimmy Savile, a spokesman said: "We haven't offered another Top Gear contract; the BBC has already placed on record its thanks to Jeremy for his broadcasting on the programme and wishes him well for the future."
Evans told listeners of his BBC Radio 2 show that he was only offered the job last Thursday, after co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May ruled themselves out of a return.
WHO’S THAT GIRL?
On Wednesday Evans insisted that he was "100 percent" certain that one of his co-hosts would be a woman when the hit show re-launches - but the BBC said there would be "no gender diktats".
Supermodel and race-winning works Maserati driver Jodie Kidd is currently the favourite to take on the role.
Evans, who three months earlier categorically denied he would join Top Gear, said he'd previously ruled himself out of the job because he didn't want to upset the former presenters.
He revealed on his Radio 2 show that fans would be able to audition to become presenters on the show by sending in a 30-second video of themselves talking about cars.
A special website is being set up for members of the public with a passion for motoring to post short YouTube-style clips. The best entries will then be picked out by production staff and invited to a live interview, similar to The X Factor, in front of Evans and other Top Gear producers.
Rev up your inbox with the IOL Motoring newsletter
Original source: BBC offered me my job back - Jezza